20 October 2013

OPI Peru-B-Ruby

Today's mani is OPI Peru-B-Ruby. I'm not normally a big red fan, but this color has a ton of meaning to me which is why I wanted it.



Ruby is my birth stone since I was born in July. I use rubytadpole as my name for a lot of places (including Instagram, follow me!). That's where the Ruby in Ruby's Nails comes from.

Peru also has meaning for me and I spent 6 wonderful weeks studying there in 2010. I ate tons of new foods: ceviche, cuy (guinea pig), fresh rainbow trout, anticucho (marinated, skewered, and grilled beef heart), real sugar Coke, choclo (a corn with giant kernels), quinoa, sooo many potatoes, different teas, Cusqueña beer, picarones (sweet potato donuts), alpaca, llama, and granadilla (a fruit with hard seeds in gelatinous pulp, tastes much better than it sounds and looks!).

I lived in Cusco for the six weeks but traveled to the Sacred Valley and fed alpacas and llamas, hiked in Machu Picchu, sailed to the Uros Islands (islands made of reeds in Lake Titicaca), spent the night with a traditional family on Amantaní who dressed us up in traditional clothing and took us to a village dance, and saw countless other Inca ruins.

So that was long....but I wanted to really express to WHY this color is sooo important to me.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story. I am also a ruby-baby. :) That's a beautiful color. It's hard to find colors that look ruby and not too pink or dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree with that! I've seen tooooo many pink rubies.

      Delete